Victoria has recorded nine new locally acquired cases of coronavirus, as the premier is set to announce the length of the state’s lockdown extension.
The health department confirmed it recorded 13 new local infections in the 24 hours to Tuesday morning, four of which were previously announced by authorities.
Twelve of the cases are linked to the current outbreaks of the Delta variant in the state, which originated in NSW, while one case remains under investigation.
Two of the four reported cases are linked to an outbreak at the restaurant Ms Frankie in Cremorne, while two are household contacts of a person who contracted the virus at the Geelong-Carlton game at the MCG on July 10.
All four were isolating throughout their infectious period.
business support package as the state’s fifth lockdown drags on.
The state also recorded two cases in hotel quarantine, bringing the total number of infections to 96.
Premier Daniel Andrews yesterday confirmed the statewide lockdown will be extended beyond 11:59pm on Tuesday, saying there were still “far too many” cases of community transmission to ease restrictions after five days.
Victoria’s public health team and senior government ministers will make the final call on the length of the extension by Tuesday morning.
Monday’s testing figures and results, as well as any new exposure sites and mystery cases, will guide their decision.
There are now 15,800 close contacts and more than 300 exposure sites, including sites on Phillip Island in the south of the state to Mildura in the northwest.
Meanwhile, Business Victoria has apologised after a “technical issue” meant businesses seeking lockdown support were given an estimated call-back time of up to 17 hours.
Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien labelled it a “disgrace” and called for the problem to be rectified.
But a Business Victoria spokesperson said only those who selected the call-back option heard the estimate, with live calls on Monday answered within 10 to 20 minutes.
An extra 30 call-takers have been put on to cope with high demand and some $180.8 million in lockdown payments to 86,069 businesses had been approved by 2pm on Monday.
Mr Andrews flagged he would have “more to say” about possibly expanding the $201.8 million
SOUTH AUSTRALIA HAS REPORTED A FOURTH CASE OF COVID-19
South Australia has reported a fourth case of COVID-19 as the state begins a round of tough new restrictions and authorities race to contain a new outbreak of infections amid a growing list of exposure sites.
The cases include an 81-year-old man who entered the country from Argentina, his daughter and another two men.
The fourth case, revealed on Tuesday, is a man who is a close contact of the elderly man and was already in quarantine.
The outbreak has plunged thousands of people into quarantine with the list of more than a dozen exposure sites including at least four major shopping centres in Adelaide’s north and northeastern suburbs.
Premier Steven Marshall says the situation is of great concern.
“We only have one chance to get this right. Our focus from day one has been to go hard and to go early to minimise the level of disruption,” he said on Monday.
“We’ve got to respond quickly.”
Late on Monday, multiple new exposure sites linked to a person with COVID-19 were revealed, including a Coles supermarket at the Greenacres Shopping Centre in Adelaide’s northeast and a number of retail shops and a TAB at Munno Para in the north.
The new restrictions in SA include a density change to one person to every four square metres in all venues, while all team and contact sport has been cancelled.
All dining will need to be seated with a ban imposed on dancing and singing.
Masks will be required in all indoor public areas, including shopping malls and also on public transport and in high-risk settings.
Fitness centres are closed along with other non-essential retail outlets.
Supermarkets and pharmacies and other essential businesses will continue to trade.
Family gatherings, including weddings and funerals, will be restricted to 10 people but schools will stay open.
The new rules will be reviewed on Friday.
NSW – TBA
VIC – NINE NEW CASES
QLD – TBA
WA – TBA
SA – ONE NEW CASE
TAS – TBA
NT – TBA