Almost 100 people (97) have been arrested by police in Surrey as part of a summer campaign against drink and/or drug-driving offences.
Surrey Police announced the figure Friday (August 27) after revealing details of 17 more people convicted recently of such offences in the county.
Of the 97 people arrested by police in the campaign, 23 people including the 17 announced on Friday have been convicted to date.
The list included both men and women and spanned a range of ages from 19 to 71 years old.
Sentences handed out included fines, driving bans, victim surcharge payments and community work orders.
“Police carried out dedicated patrols to tackle one of the five most common causes of fatal and serious injury collisions, through education, engagement and enforcement,” a Surrey Police spokesperson said.
Between April 2020 and March 2021, 212 people casualties were involved in a drink or drug-driving related collision in Surrey; two of these were fatal.
“Even having one drink and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle can have fatal results. The message couldn’t be clearer – just don’t take the risk,” Police and Crime Commissioner for Surrey Lisa Townsend said earlier this year.
“People will of course want to enjoy the summer, particularly as lockdown restrictions begin to ease. But that reckless and selfish minority who choose to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs are gambling with their own and other people’s lives.
“Those caught driving over the limit should be in no doubt that they will face the consequences of their actions.”