World

NSW records zero new local COVID-19 cases but missing link is still unclear

NSW has recorded zero new local COVID-19 cases, with Premier Gladys Berejiklian saying she’s “pleased” with the state of the current outbreak.

However, the link between an infected eastern Sydney man and an international traveller with the same COVID-19 strain remains unclear.

Sydneysiders are again wearing masks on public transport, in supermarkets and during ride share trips as health officials try to figure out how a strain of COVID-19 escaped hotel quarantine and infected the man.

The man, in his 50s, duly infected his wife.

However, NSW Health recorded no additional COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Thursday from more than 13,000 tests.

Restrictions for Greater Sydney were reimposed on Wednesday including mandatory masks in indoor settings and public transport, a 20-person cap on indoor gatherings and a ban on most singing and dancing.

A health alert was issued on Thursday evening for Haymarket restaurant XOPP, with diners present between 1.30pm and 2.30pm last Wednesday asked to seek testing and self-isolate until they have received a negative result.

The same advice was issued for Bondi Trattoria at Bondi Beach on 29 April and Fratelli Fresh in Sydney’s CBD on 27 April.

A number of places have also been listed as sites where fellow attendees are close contacts who must isolate for 14 days, including the exclusive Royal Sydney Golf Club, a CBD optometrist, and other venues in Paddington, Rushcutters Bay, Moore Park and Collaroy.

Other places – including a number of barbecue shops throughout Sydney – are lower-risk, with fellow visitors asked to isolate until they receive a negative result.

Ms Berejiklian earlier on Friday said she was “pleased” with the current state of the outbreak.

“The only concern for us is obviously the fact that at least one person has been in the community going about their business for a few days, having the virus and not knowing they have it … it could be more than one,” Ms Berejiklian told the Nine Network.

“We’re just saying to people: go about your daily business, just be extra safe.”

New Zealand called a time-out on the travel bubble with NSW on Thursday, suspending quarantine-free travel from the state for 48 hours from Friday.

Ms Berejiklian urged businesses to stay open and Sydneysiders to show up for their Mother’s Day reservations on Sunday.

“Every time we go through this in NSW, we learn from what we experience, learn from what we did well or didn’t do well, then we can apply it into the future,” Ms Berejiklian said.



Share this news on your Fb,Twitter and Whatsapp

File source

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close